Saturday, April 28, 2018

Never Too Late to Pay it Forward

Uncle Tom and Aunt Teresa, my heroes.

My friend, Vernon, from my day job is getting free braces.  It's part of "Pay it Forward," a world-wide campaign that is celebrated annually on the last Thursday in April.  I first heard of pay it forward when talking with my dad's older brother, Dr. Thomas Mulligan, a world famous orthodontist who wrote several books including a copy he handed me on my last visit, Common Sense Mechanics in Everyday Orthodontics II.  I was a scrawny young teenager with newly straightened teeth when I approached him many years ago.  "How can I ever pay you back for the braces, Uncle Tom?"  I asked.

"The best way you can do that is pay it forward.  Help others in need," he answered.

My life has been blessed countless times by people like my uncle Tom and his beloved wife, Teresa.  Their oldest son, John, is the creator of the caveman food experiment that forever changed the course of my life.  No longer do I need to live in fear of a heart attack, stroke, diabetes or other disease related to eating the wrong food.

It's never too late to jump on the pay it forward band wagon.  Congratulations, Vernon.  I know what it's like to receive a gift that keeps on giving.  I look forward to seeing your new smile when I see you at our day job.  Have a great day.

No comments: