Wednesday, April 4, 2018

First Day Back on the Courts


The staff at the trauma unit thought it was an odd question when I asked how long before I could play tennis again, especially since my body was pretty beat up from an auto accident.  They told me it would be a minimum of six weeks before my seven broken ribs and damaged spleen would heal.  The doctors convinced me to be patient and hold off for at least eight weeks.  Today marks eight weeks and two days and I'm ready to see my tennis buddies again this evening after my shift at my day job.

If you ever find yourself in a predicament like the one I experienced when I lost control of my vehicle on the icy road and slid into an oncoming vehicle, look for the positive in the experience.  My pain was excruciating but I chose to focus on the exercises I was still capable of doing.  Bending was impossible.  Stretching was out of the question.  The only exercise I could do during the first two weeks was walking and leg raises.  I forced myself to do 100 leg raises a day.  Eventually I pretended to do tennis swings while walking ten minutes every hour.  Visualizing myself back on the tennis courts aided my recovery.  I felt like I had a sense of purpose.  Now it's time to test out my body.  I hope to see you on the courts soon.  Have a great day.

No comments: