Saturday, January 13, 2018

Extreme Living


No, I'm not writing about the weather conditions in my hometown today.  Yes, the temperatures may be on the extreme side of the thermometer but the extreme living I'm referring to in this post has to do with pushing the boundaries.  I tend to thrive on the outer edge of my comfort zone.

I had one of those cringeworthy relationship moments this morning when I asked my wife how she thought about the idea of me adding another workout session to my weekly calendar.  Sounds tame, right?  Not really.  I'm already participating in a weekly doubles league and play competitive tennis in three age groups including players younger than my kids.  What's missing, according to my captain, is a workout session dedicated to practice.  I reminded my wife about being 57 and how challenging it is to keep my body fit.  She always rolls her eyes when I remind her I'm 57 because she doesn't see me as "that old."

Her answer reminds me why I so deeply love her.  "Of course you can workout with your friends.  I'll find something to do, like joining the gym or taking a yoga class."

Can I outrun Father Time?  He'll have his day on the courts, but not anytime soon.  Extreme living has its advantages.  Give it a try.  Have a great day.

No comments: