Saturday, October 15, 2022

Happy Birthday to My Mother


Please join me in wishing my mother a happy birthday today.  All of us in this world are explorers.  She happens to be about 20 revolutions around the sun ahead of me so I consider her a trailblazer for my generation.  She's seen the potholes.  She also sees the good in all of us.  Mom is one of those encouragers you want to be around when the chips are down.   She knows when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em.  When it comes to others, she inspires them to play their hand wisely.  

I would like to share one story that shows how she handles times of trouble.  We were on our way to Maui during the pandemic.  Our paperwork we needed for entry didn't arrive in time and we were greeted without the usual island hospitality.  In fact, they wanted us off the island immediately.  The threat of a ten day quarantine was imminent if we didn't catch the last flight back to the mainland to fix our paperwork.  Mom's medicine was on the other side of the line in the sand and we weren't allowed to cross it.  The workers told us the only thing they could do was put the bags on the departing flight.  It seemed so cruel.  We left the island an hour later.  After jumping through a bunch of hoops, we returned to Maui the next morning.  Mom looked at me and said, "Lucky me, now I've visited Hawaii three times.  Yes, it was an unforgettable experience.  Thanks, mom, for your willingness to go the distance.  Happy birthday.  Have a great day.  Aloha!

No comments: