Friday, October 7, 2022

You Can Make a Difference

Never underestimate the value of your contributions.  They cause a ripple effect.  Your actions change lives.  I will never forget the first time I met Mike Shapovalov.  He was sitting in the food court at my day job with his wife and five children, all dressed in their Sunday best.  I was cleaning tables on a busy Sunday.  "Where are you from?"  I asked.

"Ukraine,"  he answered.  We met shortly beware the invasion began.  His people were nervous about all the threats from their neighbor.  

"I'm praying for your country," I told him while he munched on a hot dog.  We became friends instantly.

I've seen Mike and his family regularly.  He's no ordinary man.  He takes action and he's not afraid to ask for help.  Yesterday he showed up at my day job with a stack of pictures showing what's going on in his country.  The photos are not PG-13 rated.  It wasn't all bad.  In fact, Mike told me he and his buddies are working on their third shipping container of food, clothes, and supplies for his people.  Even though he is a private citizen, he found a way to make contributions tax deductible.

I promised Mike I would spread the word about his volunteer efforts.  He is partnering with local churches to set up another round of supplies.  Mike's co-worker, Don Patterson, is a local pastor and he is available to answer questions.  He can be reached at 319-936-6397.  If you would like to help, you can call Mike directly on his cell phone (319) 259-2299.  The person responsible for shipping the items is Vitaly Tkachuk (864) 279-0194.  If you would like to make a cash contribution to help defray shipping costs, you can contact Merciful Samaritan Inc, (503) 408-5920, to get a tax deductible receipt.  This organization is based in Portland, Oregon.  Make sure you tell Vitaly that your donation is to help the people of Ukraine and that you want to support my friend, Mike Shapovalov of Kalona, Iowa.  Mike is returning to my day job today to talk with the bosses about his volunteer efforts.  Your participation is much appreciated.  Have a great day.

No comments: