Monday, June 8, 2020

Remember This When You Struggle with an Identity Crisis

One idea my wife and I worked on together when our kids were young was presenting a united front. As Abraham Lincoln once said, "A house divided against itself cannot stand."  This is true in parenting, team building, and in general life situations.  In my opinion, much of the challenges we see in our world today come from forgetting our identity.  There are two places we need to examine.  The first may be the most difficult because it involves looking in the mirror.  I believe we fail to see Jesus when we look in the mirror because we're too busy focusing on our flaws.  We look for ways to cover up those flaws so others don't see them.  If you can honestly look in the mirror and see Jesus, you are halfway to a great solution for solving some of the greatest problems in our world.

The second place to examine is in others.  Do your best to take your attention off the flaws and search for something inside them that is a reflection of Jesus.  It's there.  It's always there.  Most people choose not to search deeply enough to find this reflection.  Once you find it, it's really difficult to keep judging or hating the way they act because deep down those other people you have trouble getting along with are just like you.  They are created in the image of God.  Maybe that's why Jesus commands us to love our enemies.  Every time I struggle with my own identity, I think about Jesus.  Every time I come across someone who pushes my buttons the wrong way, I remember who created them and that they, like me, have a purpose, even if neither of us has discovered what that purpose is. Do your best to present a united front even during those times when you feel lost.  Have a great day.

No comments: