Friday, January 29, 2021

Where my Love of Beaches Comes From

 Have you ever heard of the Versilia Coast?  Much to my surprise, this is the place where ancestors within the last five generations of my family roamed.  I always knew my dad's side of the family lived on the Emerald Isle... but Italy?  Until I read my ancestry report I had no clue we have Italian blood flowing in our veins.  Tuscany to be exact.  29.9%.  Mama Mia!  Even my own mother was surprised.  "Did it come from me?" she asked, wanting to know every detail.  I went through the report, line by line, starting with Tuscany, the top region on my report.  Germany came in at 25%.  No surprise there because we were always told we had some German blood.  Mexico was in third place at 14% followed by the British Isles at 13.4%.  The surprise about Mexico is how pocito it is since my mother's side of the family comes from Mexico.  Perhaps it's because they also have roots in Europe and much further to the south of Mexico, Peru to be specific.  Peru, located on the west coast of South America is 6% of who I am.  

I paid extra to go back more than five generations and discovered that my dad's side of the family is from Finland.  My ancestors, like me, woke up one day and asked, "why don't we go to the beach?"  One of the kids may have added, "I heard Ireland is a great place."  So there you have it.  My blarney comes from multiple sources, about 20% from the Americas and 80% from mostly Europe.  Japan showed up at 1% along with Puerto Rico at 1%, another great beach location.  Yes, I love beaches.  Thank you, CRI Genetics for your insightful ways.  Have a great day.