Friday, January 1, 2021

Micro Loving

You did it.  You made it to the end of one of the most challenging years we have witnessed in modern times.  Perhaps you made it all the way to midnight (I didn't), you sang "Auld Lang Syne" even though you really don't understand the full meaning of the lyrics.  You went to bed thinking, this new year is going to be different.  I would like to share something with you today to help you.

In the spirit of "Auld Lang Syne," I'm recalling old friends and past memories this morning.  The back story may help you understand why I do the things I do, like writing every morning.  I'm sitting in the back of the room in my Macro Economics class at Glendale Community College.  It's the last week of classes during my freshman year.  I'm on the tennis team and I'm juggling three jobs.  I know in my heart I'm going to be successful because I'm pushing so hard and nothing is going to stop me, even if I only have time to sleep four hours a night.  My economics professor passes out index cards and asks us to reflect on the course and offer an opinion of what grade we think we earned.  I think about my other classes first.  Philosophy, an easy A, inspired by my mother because she had the same instructor and told me she got an A in his class.  The competitive side of me kicked in throughout the semester and I always made that class a top priority.  Accounting was another easy A because earning 100% on an exam meant you could skip class while the other students reviewed their mistakes.  That meant bonus tennis time for me.  Psychology came easy for me because I loved the material.  I'm staring at this blank index card pondering what to write knowing that my Economics grade was no better than a B.  My heart tells me I learned enough to be an A student.  I write down my reasoning for an A and share it with my buddy sitting next to me.  He laughs so hard that everyone turns around to see what's up.  Mr. Smart agrees with my assessment and I get the A.  I end up with a whole slew of A's on my first report card.  The following semester I return to Mr. Smart's class to learn about Micro Economics.  Now, back to Micro Loving...

What's on your blank index card today, the first day of what can be the best year of your life?  Before you answer, consider everything you did last year, the good, the bad, and the ugly.  What grade do you give yourself for the prior year?  If you're stuck, I have an idea for you.  This is about as micro as it gets.  It's cellular level stuff – your cells, all trillion or so.  They're so micro that you probably never think of them, let alone love them.  If you truly want to get an A on your report card at the end of the year, you may want to love those cells inside your body.  You may be asking, "Michael, how do I do that?"  Here goes...

I want you to think about all the things you do on a daily basis that hurt those cells inside your body.  Sleep deprivation is a big one.  Smoking is another one.  Not living the words from "Auld Lang Syne" also causes your cells to deteriorate.  Get the picture?

Today is a great day to begin the practice of micro loving.  Set aside some quiet time every morning to think about the cells inside your body and promise yourself to love these cells.  Feed them nutritional food.  Exercise daily so your cells can thrive.  Connect with old friends.  Make new friends.  Set goals that will help your cells be the healthiest they can be.   Love others but make sure you love yourself first.  Love God.  He created those cells inside your body and he loves all trillion of them.  He knows every single hair on your head.  He will give you a clean slate any time you ask for one.  Happy New Year!  Have a great day.

No comments: