Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Got Ikigai?


It's not the flu or some dreaded disease.  I didn't know I had it until I learned what Ikigai means.  It's a Japanese word which means a reason for being, encompassing joy, a sense of purpose and well-being.  The word derives from iki, meaning life, and kai, meaning the realization of hopes and expectations.

The Okinawan people don't just say the word, they live it, often to age 90, 100 and beyond.  Dan Buettner, author of Blue Zones, defines Ikigai as the reason for which you wake up in the morning.  I find this topic fascinating and I want to learn more about healthy living.  It's interesting to note that the Okinawans have no word for retirement.  Check out Dan's message about longevity in his Ted Talk below.  It may help you find your inner ikigai.  Have a great day.


No comments: