Stardate 10.10.2026
Sometimes a conversation can send you down a path you never expected to travel.
In late 2023, I went to my eye doctor for a routine examination. During our conversation, he shared his concern about the growing problem of diabetes in America and its effect on people's vision.
He was careful to stay within the boundaries of his specialty. He wasn't diagnosing me or offering medical advice outside his area of expertise. He simply suggested that I might find some worthwhile ideas in a book by Dr. Jason Fung called The Diabetes Code.
I took his suggestion seriously.
Nina Teicholz wrote the book's foreword. Her work on dietary fat and nutrition introduced me to questions I wanted to explore further. I began reading about researchers and authors who challenged familiar ideas about food and its relationship to health.
Teicholz wrote The Big Fat Surprise. Professor Tim Noakes also caught my attention. His professional-conduct case in South Africa ended with him being cleared of the charge against him in a dispute involving his public comments about infant feeding and a low-carbohydrate, high-fat diet.
I wanted to understand the evidence behind these debates. The more I read, the more interested I became in examining my own habits.
My Own Experiment
I've conducted food experiments over the years and recorded changes in my weight and blood pressure. One earlier experiment resulted in a weight loss of more than 30 pounds. I kept daily blood-pressure readings as I went along.
I've recorded the details of that experience in my book, Live Long and Prosper. Readers who are curious about the experiment can find the full account there. All proceeds from the book are donated to University of Iowa Stead Family Children's Hospital, helping support the children and families who receive care there.
My current approach to food has evolved. I'm eating mostly red meat, sardines, and other seafood, with an emphasis on minimally processed foods. On some days I eat one meal; on others, two. I'm no longer experiencing the same hunger between meals that I once did.
I'm also paying attention to sleep, sunshine, exercise, stress management, prayer, and meditation. These daily habits have become part of my ongoing investigation into how I can extend my healthy lifespan.
I also take supplements from DoNotAge®, a research company whose mission is to extend healthy lifespan for as many people as possible. I partner with the company because its work aligns with my interest in this field.
If you'd like to explore the supplements I use, you can visit DoNotAge® through my partner link. Use code LLAP at checkout for a discount if you decide to make a purchase. I receive a stipend when you use my partner code, and I appreciate your support.
The Next Set of Numbers
In December or January, I plan to have a comprehensive blood panel performed. I'm especially interested in my Omega-3 Index after my extended experiment with eating sardines regularly.
My cousin John has also been exploring a similar approach to food. He recently received results from a comprehensive blood panel that left him encouraged. One measurement he discussed with me was ApoB, which helps assess the number of cholesterol-carrying particles associated with cardiovascular risk.
His results have made me even more curious about what my own bloodwork might reveal. I'll need to see my numbers and discuss them in the context of my overall health before drawing conclusions.
A new panel will give me a snapshot of where I stand. Without comparable earlier measurements, I won't be able to determine precisely how much any particular food or supplement has changed a result.
Weight and blood pressure are useful measurements, and I've been keeping track of both. They don't tell the whole story about cardiovascular health, inflammation, or metabolic function. The upcoming tests will give me additional information to discuss with my healthcare professional.
I intend to keep recording what I eat, the habits I practice, and the results I receive. I'm curious about what the numbers will show.
A Thought for Today
My eye doctor offered a book recommendation during an ordinary appointment. I followed that suggestion, and the reading led me into a subject that continues to hold my attention nearly three years later.
I've made changes along the way. I've recorded some results. There is still plenty for me to learn.
Psalm 90:17 offers a prayer I return to often:
“May the favor of the Lord our God rest on us; establish the work of our hands for us—yes, establish the work of our hands.”
I pray that the work I'm doing each day will bear good fruit, for my family and for others who might benefit from what I learn.
Join me here:
https://substack.com/@michaelmulliganlivelong
Captain's Addendum
Spock: Michael, your investigation began with a routine eye examination. The consequences have proved unexpectedly far-reaching.
Bones: Just keep those blood tests coming, Michael. Curiosity is fine, but I'd like to see the medical charts before anybody declares victory.
I have a few more questions to answer, and I intend to keep asking them one day at a time. I'm grateful for the people who point me toward something worth exploring, and for the opportunity to keep learning as I go.
No comments:
Post a Comment