Thursday, October 8, 2026

A Slice of Heaven

Stardate 10.08.2026


My sleep report from last night leaves plenty of room for improvement.

I'm still finding my rhythm after returning from Europe. My body is reminding me that restoration takes time, and I'm okay with that.

Yesterday was my first day off while I'm on assignment in Lawrence, Kansas.

I started the day looking for a place to play indoor pickleball.

A quick online search led me to a facility with a small weight room and a large gym where they roll out nets for pickleball. I joined for 30 days and took advantage of my senior status. Ten dollars for the month gets me free open play on certain days.

After I signed up, I asked the receptionist if she knew where I could swim indoors.

That question changed the rest of my day.

When I checked into my hotel, I discovered the jacuzzi had been sealed over with plywood. Swimming and the recovery provided by jacuzzi jets are part of how I take care of my body, so finding an indoor pool became a priority.

She directed me across town.

I plugged the address into my phone and headed out.

I had no idea how close the aquatic center would be to where I will be working for the next three weeks.

When I walked through the doors, I found a slice of Heaven.

It was one of the largest indoor swimming pools I've ever seen.

There wasn't a soul in the water.

Lisa, the senior administrative specialist, offered me a tour. I asked if it would be okay to shoot some video for my wife. Since the pool was closed until later in the day, Lisa told me she would need to escort me.

So I started filming.

A few seconds of what I discovered:


I'm beginning to see how my daily blog is becoming a vlog, too.

For years, I've written about the places I go and the people I meet. Now I'm learning how to bring some of those moments to life through video.

After the tour, I headed to the front desk and met Phyllis.

The ladies asked where I was from and why I was in town. I told them about my assignment, my daily stories and our effort to raise money for children's hospitals across the country.

I gave them a signed copy of Live Long and Prosper.

That's when Phyllis shared that she is undergoing cancer treatment.

She really connected with the children's hospital part of my story.

Abigail, the afternoon lifeguard, walked in while we were talking.

By the time I left, all three women knew about the blog and planned to follow the videos when they begin appearing regularly.

I purchased a punch card good for ten visits. One of the pools has jacuzzi jets, giving me another recovery option while I'm away from home.

I also bought goggles and a swim cap.

Now I have what I need to make swimming part of my routine for the next 30 days.

Then I discovered something else.

The aquatic center is only blocks from where I will be working.

A question asked at a pickleball facility had led me to a place I can use throughout this assignment.

I also discovered that one of my favorite steakhouses is only two buildings from my hotel.

Texas Roadhouse.

So I met a colleague for dinner and captured some video there, too.


By the end of the day, I had several more YouTube Shorts.

I'm continuing toward 50 Shorts so I can unlock additional YouTube features that will give me more ways to tell these stories.

The camera is becoming easier to use and hopefully more inviting for followers. 

I'm trying different locations. I'm experimenting with camera angles. I'm learning how to capture pieces of the day while I'm actually living it.

That feels like progress.

I'm also learning that progress doesn't always arrive through a carefully designed plan.

Sometimes it starts with a question.

Sometimes it starts with being willing to look around.

Sometimes it starts with asking someone who knows the area where you can find a pool.

I'm still recovering from Europe.

I'm still working on my sleep.

I'm still learning how to tell stories through video.

And I'm still stumbling forward, one percent better, one day at a time.

“Let the beauty of the Lord our God be upon us: and establish thou the work of our hands upon us; yea, the work of our hands establish thou it.” — Psalm 90:17

Join me here:

https://substack.com/@michaelmulliganlivelong

Captain's Addendum

Spock: “Michael, your search for a swimming pool appears to have produced several additional missions.”

Bones: “And goggles. Don't forget the goggles, Michael.”

Spock: “Indeed, Doctor. The Captain appears to be prepared for the next 30 days.”

Sometimes the next step is right around the corner.

I just have to keep moving long enough to find it.

Live Long and Prosper.

No comments: