Sunday, October 29, 2023

Autumn's Last Gasp



 The temps have fallen dramatically this week.  Gusty winds are bringing the fall colors to a quick halt as the leaves are now falling like rain drops.  We are witnessing Autumn's last gasp.  Part of me wants to hold on to the beauty surrounding our home.  Deeper within my soul is another tiny voice that says, "Let go."  

It amazes me how the seasons mimic our own lives.  Some seem to be in bitter conflict as they move into the winter season of their lives.  They fight to keep their grip as the calendar pages flip faster and faster.  They shun birthdays because they are reminders of what's ahead.  

There is something peaceful that happens when you heed the voice that encourages letting go.  I have a feeling in my gut that my grandmother on my mother's side of the family paid great attention to this voice in her final Winter season of her life.  All the leaves had fallen.  Her suitcase was packed.  Her smile lit up the room when she said, "I'm ready.  It's time to go."  

There is a difference between a gasp and a slow exhale.  The gasp focuses on loss.  The slow exhale is a sign of appreciation for all that each season of life offers.  How is your breathing?  Are you gasping or are you slowing down and savoring every breath?  Have a great day.

No comments: