Saturday, February 17, 2024

Men's 18+ 4.0 Tennis Match Today

 I would like to give a big shout out to my bosses at my day job for changing up my schedule so I can play more tennis with my teammates.  This year may turn out to be my most memorable ever.  I'm going into today's match with my highest mental recovery score ever (87%) since I began measuring my sleep with my smart watch in late November.  This measurement is tied to the amount of REM sleep.  While it may be disputed as to how accurately this is measured, there is one subjective measurement that I would like to contribute for those considering ways to improve sleep quality – my own perceptions of how I feel in the morning.  Before I even look at the sleep score I can predict my own sleep score and it matches the objective measurements most of the time.

Tennis is a mental game.  Sure, physical fitness is also a major factor.  That's why physical recovery is so important while sleeping.  Physical recovery happens when your body is in deep sleep.  I'm finding that this part of my sleep cycle occurs in the beginning of the night.  Today I get to test my performance on the tennis courts against opponents that can be as young as 18yrs old.  Keep in mind I happen to be closer to my 64th birthday than my previous one last year on the 4th of July so I need all the help I can get.  Today I will benefit from having a strong teammate with younger legs than me.  It's going to be an exciting day.  Have a great day.

No comments: