Monday, April 9, 2012

Moving Over to the Passenger Seat



The first time I got to be in the driver's seat, my dad and two brothers jumped out of the car.  I was all alone in the desert in North Phoenix.  Before dad gave me the keys, he gave me a two-minute demo on how to use the clutch and how to shift gears.  In a VW Super Beetle with a manual transmission, reverse is a bit of a challenge, especially if you are all alone.

It took a while, but I got the hang of it.  Now, my youngest son is driving.  The Iowa roads are not as remote as the Phoenix desert and my driving instruction is from the passenger seat rather than from outside the car.  Moving over to the passenger seat is not easy for me.  I like to drive.  When my son was the first one to get out of bed on Easter Sunday, the first one to shower and eat, and the first one in the car, I got an idea just how much he loves being in the driver's seat.

In my spiritual life, I also find myself sitting in the passenger seat.  Like my dad who got out of the car and left me alone to learn how to drive, I also felt my Heavenly Father was on the outside.  Spiritual maturity doesn't happen overnight.  It's not easy to turn the steering wheel over to God.  Now, I'm a couple thousand miles away from my comfort zone.  I do trust my Creator 100%, however, I'm still not sure what His plans are.

How about you?  Are you in the driver's seat or is God your driver?  Has God shared the road map with you?  How do you feel about the direction you are headed?  Please add your thoughts below.

No comments: