- Faith. This is my center stone diamond. It has been in my family for generations. There is nothing in this world more valuable than this rock.
- Family. Portions of this large stone have only been recently unearthed. I'm blessed to have a loving wife, three incredible children, a very special mother, five amazing siblings, and a plethora of aunts, uncles, cousins and second cousins.
- Friends. As the angel Clarence from "It's a Wonderful Life" says, "no man is a failure who has friends."
- Fitness. Healthy eating, a consistent exercise program and the right amount of rest are necessary to enjoy life to its fullest.
- Fun. Don't defer having fun until some future time, like retirement. Take this rock out of your backpack every day and savor it.
Friday, January 25, 2013
5 Rocks Worth Collecting
The last time I hiked the Grand Canyon, it was about this time of year and a thin layer of snow laced the top of the rim. The twenty-four hour adventure started out great, however, my backpack weighed me down near the end of the hike and I wished it wasn't so heavy. The load on my shoulders reminded me of all the burdens I was holding onto. When I got home, I decided it was time to empty my backpack. There were five rocks at the bottom of my backpack more precious than gems. They are as important to me as Wilson was to Tom Hanks in Cast Away. Diamonds have ratings. So do my five rocks. They are all rated "F" -- the highest quality possible. Put these in your permanent collection: