Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Writing in the Sand Box

 Ask any accomplished musician how he or she managed to get to an expert level and I have a feeling they will share about their daily practice sessions.  Scales.  More scales.  And more scales.  The same is true with professional athletes.  Each sport has its own name but it all comes down to the same thing – practice, practice, and more practice.  Spring training.  Minor leagues.  Preseason.  Drills. Drills.  And more drills.  Is it any different in the writing world?  Heck no.  I call my drill sessions as time in the sand box.  Most days I have no idea what I'm creating.  Most of the time it's about honing my skills.  These nearly 5,000 blog stories are my daily drill sessions.  There seems to be one common thread.  Lessons.  I'm sharing life lessons.  Sometimes it's not pretty.  My life is full of mistakes.  In my heart, I do believe sharing these past failures will add some entertainment value as well as help others avoid repeating some of my past blunders.

One cannot find their voice in this world without consistent daily effort.  Once found, this voice needs refinement.  I don't think Michelangelo carved a masterpiece out of his first slab of rock.  If he did, God bless him.  I do have one thing going for me and that is something called inspiration.  I'm willing to do the daily scales.  I'm willing to attend Spring training.  Above all, I'm willing to fail and keep trying.  I'm also willing to share.  I'm on the precipice now.  The fog is lifting.  Stay with me.  It's going to be an interesting year.  Have a great day.


No comments: