Tuesday, February 16, 2016

5 Ideas to Expand Your Happiness Zone


Happiness.  I'm studying it.  I'm researching it.  I'm living it.  It comes easily for some and it's more difficult for others.  If happiness were a color, what color would you put on?  I'm known for wearing blue Nike running shoes at my day job.  I call them my blue zone shoes and they fit well in my "happiness zone."  My feet are comfortable and I can enjoy a short run any time during the day when the opportunity presents itself.  Here are five ideas to help you expand your happiness zone:
  1. Read about others who are happy.  My next book on my reading list is "The Blue Zones, Lessons for Living Healthier from the People Who've Lived the Longest," by Dan Buettner.  It was recommended to me by someone I met last week who is really happy.
  2. Surround yourself with plants.  The really happy person I met last week has plants in every nook and cranny of her office.
  3. Hang out with happy people.  I believe happiness is contagious.  So is snarkiness and cynicism.  Check out your circle of friends to see what you might catch.
  4. Do what makes you happy.  My top three happy activities are playing tennis, writing and swimming.  They contribute to my overall sense of well being.
  5. Be happy.  I've spent the last seven years of my life forcing myself to do things that aren't really on my happy list but are on my "necessary" list.  I'll share more about these activities in later stories.  The point is simple – you can be happy in all circumstances if you choose to do so.
That's my happiness list.  What's yours?  Ready. Set. Go.  Be happy.  Have a great day.  Thanks for stopping by today.  That makes me happy.

No comments: