Monday, October 20, 2014

Know Thy Enemy


Sun Tzu, a high ranking military general, considered war a necessary evil that must be avoided whenever possible.  His writings about the art of war influenced Asia for over 2,000 years.  He wrote, anyone who excels in defeating his enemies triumphs before his enemy's threats become real.  He believed in quick and appropriate responses to changing conditions.  I'm stealing some pages from Tzu's playbook to win the war against a modern enemy – third party debt collectors.  Approximately 30% of the western world is under siege and most raise the white flag of surrender as soon as the first shot is fired.  Not me.  My flag is like the checkered flag you see when the racers finish the course.  This can only be accomplished if you know how to fight.  It begins with knowing your enemy.

Fighting a debt collector is similar to the Kobayashi Maru, a no-win scenario in the Star Trek universe.  It appears that no matter what action you take or avoid, you either end up dead or the people you fail to rescue are destroyed.  My hero, Captain Kirk, found a way to win by reprogramming the test the day before his exam.  It appears Kirk was a student of Sun Tzu.  He knew his enemy and he acted quickly.

My debt war is not over yet.  All I can tell you is I'm 100% committed to knowing thy enemy.  When I'm finished I'll write my own book based on my personal experiences.  Sun Tzu and Captain Kirk will both be proud. 




No comments: