Tuesday, December 13, 2011

It's a Wonderful Life

Last night my wife told me the classic Christmas movie, "It's a Wonderful Life" will be disappearing.  Demographics are changing and every year the ratings slip more and more.  Although the movie was filmed in black in white, it's rich in colorful pictures painted by George and Mary.  It reflects a time period when people said, "Merry Christmas."

I find myself surrounded by people who are hurting or have broken dreams.  Like me, they've lost important people in their lives.  I think of my father around the Christmas season because he was born on Christmas day and he's no longer with us.  I remember my mother-in-law who got called up to Heaven just before Christmas Day and my father-in-law who joined her when our children were still little.  Now, my high school classmates and I are reflecting on one of the most positive people we were blessed to know from our high school days.  Nancy struggled in pain for three years with brain cancer.  Last week she got her one-way bus ticket to Heaven.  Those who knew her are grieving her absence.

It's easy to let our broken dreams get the best of us when Christmas is supposed to be a happy time.  We turn on the TV and can't find a decent Christmas show even though we have hundreds of channels to sort through.

Even Mr. Positive from "It's a Wonderful Life" needed an angel to remind him of all the good that was right in front of him...someone to show him that he truly found a way to lasso the moon and reel it in for his wife.  His treasure was in his friendships.  Those who are no longer with us have a message...

"It's a wonderful life.  Live each day to it's fullest and stay close to your loved ones.  Keep in touch with your friends.  We have earned our wings.  Now it's time for you to earn yours.  Make a difference.  Your life is a gift."

The spirit of our departed friends and family members lives on in the lives who were touched.  Here's an impersonation of Jimmy Stewart, someone who learned the best things in life are often right in front of you.  Merry Christmas.


No comments: