Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Goals

One of the first things I did when I entered the cave (see my first post) was to prepare a list of about 30 goals. The list included fun things like "play tennis once per week" and difficult things like "help my boss get our team to #1 in the country". I worked diligently to achieve these goals and they allowed me to stay focused.

As I begin this day, two things on my "to do" list will be complete before most of you wake up. My wife has her love letter and I have "published" all the good that God has done for me. The rest of my day will be dedicated to my Zoom partners. I know where I am going and what I need to do. My work day will end around midnight.

You are probably asking yourself how some people seem to get so much done while others flounder. For me, it begins with goal setting. First, I set goals that are in alignment with the Creator's will for me. This includes spending time learning from those that are smarter than me. I spend a minimum of 90 minutes per day commuting and I use this time wisely. Why not listen to a motivational tape on your way to work? If this is one of your goals for the day, don't allow a distraction to get in the way.

While I was in the cave, my employer sent me away for some training. I was impressed with the abundance of food they gave us. As I was leaving to fly home, I asked the trainer what she was going to do with the left-over food. They were planning to throw it out so I asked if I could have some extra food to take home.

When my plane landed, I knew exactly where I was going. There are a group of homeless people that I met when I delivered Zoom magazines near our airport. Some are there for a short time until they get back on their feet and others are there permanently because there is nowhere else to go. I made sure to meet these people and spend time with them every Friday when I was on my Zoom delivery route.

I parked my car and started walking with this lunch box. The lady I found was wrapped in a tattered blanket. I asked "How are you today?" She greeted me with a warm smile and replied, "fine". She had no teeth. I offered her the extra lunch and walked away. As I departed, I wondered just how long it had been since she had a visitor or a meal. My goal for the day had been completed and now it was time to return to my family.

Maybe your goals include losing weight or getting rid of an addiction in your life. Write down how much weight you want to lose and break it down into daily goals. Get accountability partners to help you stay committed. Start by losing one ounce and build on that. Change the way you look at food or addictions. Imagine yourself in the future at your desired weight and don't stop. Make exercise a part of your life. Live your life to its fullest.

Carpe Diem!

No comments: